The Essence of Budo:
A Practitioner's Guide to Understanding the Japanese Martial Ways
by Dave Lowry
*** Spiritual Book Gift with this order ***
A guide to the practice, history, and etiquette of budo, the study of Japanese martial arts for self-cultivation—written by an American martial arts master
The study of budo, or the Japanese martial arts for self-cultivation, is a lifelong path toward perfection of character. Here, Dave Lowry, a sword master who has practiced and taught budo for over forty years, addresses the myriad issues, vagaries, and inconsistencies that arise for students of karate-do, judo, kendo, kenjutsu, aikido, and iaido as their training develops. He examines such questions as:
• What is the relationship between the student and teacher, and what should one expect from the other?
• What does rank really mean?
• How do you correctly and sensitively practice with someone less experienced than you?
• What does practice look like as one ages?
• Why do budo arts put such an emphasis on etiquette?
• And many others
Lowry also gives practical advice for beginning and advanced students on improving structural integrity in posture and movement, focusing under stress, stances and preparatory actions before engaging with an opponent, and recognizing a good teacher from a bad one.
- Publisher : Shambhala
- Language : English
- Paperback : 192 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1590308468
- ISBN-13 : 978-1590308462
Brand new: The book is new, unread, and unused in perfect condition. As seen in the pictures.